Monday, August 06, 2007

From the mailbag...

Yitz writes:
I know this topic interests many of you. I just purchased a booklet entitled, "Ki Dvar Hashem Baza" ["For they have denigrated the word of G-d"]. It's subtitled: an explanation of the sources & influences of secular music on the "chareidi" pop music idols. Published by "HaVaad LeNegina Yehudit" [committee for Jewish music], its author is one Efraim Luft from Bnei Brak.

He has approbations [haskamos] from a Rav in Tifrach and a Rav in Bnei Brak, quotations from various Chareidi Rabbanim, including a "Kriya Kodesh" from the Beis Din of Rav Wasner [Vosner] in Bnei Brak.

I will try reporting back to you of any interesting items I find here, either via e-mail or my blog. He also mentions that copies IN ENGLISH can be ordered from him at
6 Rechov HaRav Toledano
Bnei Brak

Tel. 03-619-1973; 054-846-0068
[from outside Israel, drop the zero and add the country code, 972].
I haven't seen Luft's book yet, but I've addressed some of his published articles in the past. See here for some links.

KFAR's Adam Davis writes:
Rabbinical School Dropouts @ Empty Bottle Aug 19 http://kfarcenter.com/blog/2007/06/01/rabbinical-school-dropouts-empty-bottle-aug-19/

Also, planning a fall (debut) tour for Aharit Hayamim. Interesting act and I think has a lot of potential here.
We already are nailing down dates, but interested parties can visit http://myspace.com/aharithayamim and contact me at info@j-arts.org

KFAR got a bunch of press for hosting the recent final show at Chicago's Hothouse, featuring Zohar.
http://kfarcenter.com/blog/category/press/
Heshy writes:
My cousin- by coincidence named Avi Fried has this Jewish rock group that is trying to gain puhblicity any way, you may be able to a piece on them? http://www.levitikusmusic.com/about_us.html
Korrine Fitz writes:
Shalom,
Do you have any ideas of how I can obtain music for a Jewish aerobics class for teens?!
Any help would be appreciated.
I suggest looking at the J-Walking albums to see if they'll work.