Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Matisyahu ABC's

Here's an ABC News report on Matisyahu.

A taste:
Still, he had hurdles before he could embark on a singing career specifically, his religious advisers, who were bewildered by his plans.

"The rabbis at first were like, 'You're in yeshiva why would you want to go to these clubs and go to these bars and go back to this lifestyle that you used to be a part of?'" he remembers them saying.

But a performance before a group of young Hasidic boys at a community center won his rabbis over.

"I closed my eyes and sang the song, and afterwards I looked up, the two rabbis from the yeshiva were right next to me, and I looked up at them and they like had huge smiles," he says. "Ever since then, they got it, and the whole community is totally supportive."
It's interesting to note that at the end of the article, ABC news supplies two links: Matisyahu's website and Chabad.org.