Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Turning Two Links Into Six

Two from The Jerusalem Post:

Ben Jacobson reviews Yidcore's latest. I wouldn't call them "kids", but they're a lot of fun. I'd suggest checking out this one:



Barry Davis profiles jazz pianist Don Friedman. Here's his take on Jewish jazz:
Despite his Jewish origins Friedman says that didn't play much of a role in his personal or artistic development. "I wasn't really brought up in a Jewish atmosphere ,so I don't know if that comes into my music." Recently, however, he had a brief fling with a Jewish-flavored project. " I played in Florida in something called The Hassidic Jazz Project. But, it wasn't that great. I don't think I'll be doing that again."
Somebody needs to play the guy some real Jewish jazz!

Here are a few recommendations:











We've recommended some of these before. This is just a taste of what's out there. Many of these artists' other releases are also well worth checking out, and be sure to look at their other projects as well. The Coleman album is worth getting just for his treatment of the old Yiddish standard, "Belz."