Monday, August 24, 2009

From the mailbag...

Naftali writes:
My new pet peeve:

Singers that don't know the words. A singer is hired to do a gig with you; you go into a fairly popular song, and they whisper to you "I don't know the words" or "I'm not comfortable singing that". Mr. Singer, your ONLY job is to KNOW THE WORDS TO SONGS! You have nothing to shlep, you arrive 1 minute before (or after) start time and you only need to KNOW THE WORDS to songs! Do your research.
This arrived in my inbox just as I returned attending a concert. (I wasn’t playing.) At that performance, the lead vocalists screwed up the following lyrics:
1) Vena Al Tatzrichenu
2) Racheim

Both of those texts are from bentching, something they ought to be familiar with. Amazing!

Psachya writes:
Check this out: We Will Survive!

BTW, at about 3:30 of the clip, I could've sworn I saw a choson and kallah about to come in. :)
Igudsman and Joo rock! I've posted some of their other stuff in the past.

Avremi G. writes
‘This peep shows up with the score to an original composition they've written in honor of the bride and groom. Said musical masterpiece has been notated in Finale in the worst possibly way.’

I’m sure Sibelius is capable of equally atrocious output.
It's possible. In this particular case, the "composer" happened to have used Finale.

Daybay writes:
NYC based Jewish musician,

I read the following in The Yated (July 17, 2009 edition) in a column by Yossi Kamiel entitled Binni Blitz and the Bored Businessman, and thought you might was to address it. In his column he has one of his fictional characters say,

"My father asked a shailah and the rov told him that we're not allowed to listen to them (acapella cds) during Sefirah or the Three Weeks either. He said that there is no difference between them and regular music tapes. So even though we miss listening to these songs and albums, still, no frum Yid would even think of doing something that is not allowed in halacha."

Thank you,

A frum Yid who might think of doing something that is not allowed in halacha, but, b'H, would never do something that is not allowed by halacha.
Even Rabbi Belsky allows listening to certain kinds of acapella recordings during sefirah. So, this characterization (I assume it’s fiction) is inaccurate, even according to those who prohibit some acapella recordings during sefirah.

It’s also against common sense.

I posted his psakim on this and my comments on them here.