Monday, July 13, 2009

From the mailbag...

E. forwards a link to "Michael Jackson sings "Bei Mir Bist Du Shein" with the Jackson 5 and Carol Burnett.

He also emails a link to Gershon Veroba's blog post, "Michael Jackson and us..." Worth reading.

Finally, Bobo Bubalinsky writes:
Apparently I live a sheltered life, having never heard a Disco Hora.  So I did what any modern person does and googled it.  Found many an amusing clip YouTube - Jewish Drumming demo #3 Disco Hora variations so thanks for enlivening my life.

I was however well aware that a large portion of the early NY Punk scene were jews.  Watch End Of The Century http://www.endofthecentury.com/  the Ramones biopic. All not so nice jewish boys from queens.  

Like Lenny Kaye I also have kept that cantorial sound somewhere in my world.  For most of the past 25 years I have been involved in instrumental music, and a few years ago I began adding Klezmer tunes to our sets (but in a n almost Ska like way).  We have recently recorded a song written by my great grandfather Israel Isaac Axelrod/Shamfrof/Shaw "Oif Der Fater" http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/162595 .  He wrote it at the end of the 19th century, or the very beginning of the 20th, and I changed it a bit.  Give it a spin if you care to.
That last link doesn't work, but you can hear the song in the player on the right hand side of Bobo's Blog.