Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Vesamachta Lead Sheet Analysis- Part Deux

A number of folks emailed thoughts about Vesamachta Lead Sheet Analysis

One reader wrote:
I don't read notes well but the chords sound a'ight. The rests smack-in-the -middle of the notes does not look familiar, though
Another wrote:
OK, I'll take a stab at it (could be very wrong though). At first glance - the key signature and the chord notations don't "shtim".
A third wrote:
Not being a musician myself I'm not sure of the technical aspects of the chart, e.g. whether the key signature is correct or not; this may
simply be me not remembering the right way to write sheet music from my lessons that ended thirty years ago. However, I would make the following changes. Not to say they're mistakes exactly, but if I was singing it I'd do it thus:

Measure 1: Change the last note (F) to dotted-1/4, and insert an 1/8 note on E. (I like a little syncopation.)

Measure 2: Change the first note to E, and tie it to the preceding 1/8 note. Change the last note to dotted-1/4, and insert 1/8 note on G.

Measure 3: either tie the first note to the last note in preceding measure, or just replace it with 1/8 rest (the dancers are gonna stomp there anyway). Change last note to dotted-1/4, and add 1/8 note on D.

Measure 4: Change first note to D, tie it to last note of preceding measure. Change last note to dotted-1/4, insert 1/8 note on G, and tie it forward to the first note in Measure 1 on the repetition (are you allowed to do that without having to re-write the whole bar?)

Measure 5: Change first note to D.

Measure 6: change last note to 1/8, add 1/8 note on F, and tie it to first note in measure 7.

Measure 7: Tie 4th and 5th notes.

(Alternate: leave measure 6 as is, and in Measure 7 tie 2nd and 3rd notes, and 6th and 7th notes. Or do it one way the first time around and switch on the repetition.)

Measure 8: similar to Measure 7, depending on which option you picked, you might want to do the opposite here. Also, extend the overhead line (the thing indicating repetition, I forget the right terminology) to cover this measure, since you're gonna play it differently next time around.

Measure 9: replace the second note with four 1/8 notes B-G-Ab-G, and tie the 1/2 note to the following 1/8 note.

Insert measure 9a: 8 eighth-notes, first four notes same as measure 9, last four B-F-G-Ab. Put overhead line connecting it to measure 10.

Measure 10: keep the same.

As for the chords, lemme go get my autoharp...

OK, I'd change that G in measures 6 and 9 to a G7 (works either way, just personal preference). In measure 8, that D7 has gotta be a typo, I'd say Fm belongs there.

(If I was playing it for myself and not in public, I'd consider using Eb at the beginning of measure 7 and go to the Cm at the midpoint; but that's just me. I can't get any fancier than that without hauling out my accordion, the autoharp has only 21 buttons...)

Did I do OK for an amateur, or am I full of you-know-what?
The first guess is incorrect. The second and third answers both touch on the main reason I posted this exercise in different ways. That's your hint. Anyone else want to try? I'll give it another day or so and then 'splain.