Monday, July 03, 2006

MySpace/YourSpace

I've gotten several emails from J-musicians with links to their Myspace pages. So far, I haven't posted any of them. Here's why.

I'm conflicted about linking to MySpace. in general, I try to avoid links that are inappropriate for segments of my regular readership. As I see it, Myspace has some real issues in that reagrd. I do know that they've made an effort to clean up, since being bought, but there's still a ways to go.

For example, one young frum musician has links on his page to/from er, adult entertainment models. I'm reasonably sure that this resulted from his naivette about how Myspace works and his willingness to "add" friends to up his own visibility. In many other cases, I've seen posts/comments that either have pics or link to the kinds of images I make a conscious effort to avoid.

On the other hand, there are some interesting Jewish musicians out there whose only web presence is on Myspace, and who don't have anything offensive or inappropriate on their pages...

I suppose I should figure out a clear linking policy, but my current approach seems to be working fine, for the most part. I'll give this topic some more thought and perhaps write more later.