Thursday, December 04, 2003

About This Blog

The last few days have been interesting. I've been receiving emails from many people in the JM business. Some of them were supportive and positive, some demanded to know who I am, and some asserted that they knew who I was.

Among these people were some close friends who have been hurt by the fact that I wouldn't/didn't identify myself to them. Those friendships are important to me and are more important than preserving my anonymity – something I expected would only be short term. As such, I have decided to acknowledge myself to them.

I am also putting the blog on hiatus while I rethink its role. I have decided to remove the posts while I consider all of this.

In the last 24 hours, I have reread all of my posts and I feel that the points I raised are ones that I hope the industry will address, but I can see how people may have taken some of them personally even though this was not my intent. For example, in one post where I referenced unsuccessful albums, I can see how people could have inferred a criticism of the singers themselves, rather than simply the material on the album. The reality is, that in most of those cases, I have no knowledge of or opinion about the singer's talents. The one case where I have met the vocalist, I know that he is extremely talented. Upon rereading that post I can see how others would have thought I was saying he had no talent, which was never my intent.

I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by anything I wrote. And, as always, I will be glad to post a response to anything I've written.