Thursday, July 17, 2008

Conversations...

Thought I'd share some recent conversations...

So, there's this Chareidi institution that owes us money since March. Seeing that invoices and conversations with the administrator weren't being productive, we approached one of the rabbis who runs the institution. He was surprised to hear we hadn't been paid and said he'd look into it.

A couple of days later, he comes over and says "I spoke to X and he says that it's $1000 and that there's issur of Lo Talin on an institution." He seemed ok with that. My response: "Actually, it's $1300." He replies: "So he's a modeh b'miktzas." My response: "In that case he'll have to take a sh'vua, and I'm sure a choshuve yungerman from such a choshuve mossad would want to avoid having to do that."

P.S. The next day, I had my check. It helps to know the lingo. (Everything was documented anyway, but this greased the skids, as it were.)

Here's an email sent to the blog:
hey, just wondering what you think about kol isha, i hate when women sing at a simcha, it's a new trend and it makes me sick to see people so shamelessly avoiding an important part of the halacha.
interested in your opinion. emilia greenberg
Our response:
I'm happy to answer your question. But first, I have a question for you...

As a female singer who performs for mixed audiences, why do you get "sick to see people so shamelessly avoiding an important part of the halacha"? How do you view your own performances?
Ah, the advantages of knowing the our correspondent's true identity. (It wasn't Emilia Greenberg.)

Her response:
i haven't seen a female sing at a simcha, i believe that i was trying to trick you into saying something.. but you're smart, and/or you know me?

eh?

so anyways, you caught me, but i was really wondering what you think about kol isha, i have your page bookmarked and was just wondering..
A cute vignette...

We were hired to play at a Sheva Brachot locally. We're unloading in the parking lot and a woman says, oh, you must be the band. My son Matt is inside setting up his drums. No one had said anything about a drummer for this gig.

So we get inside and there’s a 14 year old setting up a kit. We were thinking it’d be a train wreck, but he actually played pretty well.

The kicker. At the end of the gig, he hands us his card —yes, he had one— and says: “I don’t drive yet, but if you ever have a local gig and you want to add a drummer for $30-$40, I’d love to do it.” Kids!