Friday, January 02, 2004

Heavy Metal with a Hechser

Here's a review of the album by Pesach Chaim titled "I'm A Baal Teshuvah." The reviewer writes:
Chaim's vocals are wobbly, echoey, and for many tracks offkey and offbeat. Half singing and half spoken word, the lyrics are all in English except for Hebrew and Yiddish terms. Sample lyrics include: "When you're thinking of that/cute shiksa or shaygetz/Just learn Chumash with Rashi/learn Chumash with Rashi/learn Chumash with Rashi!"
The review also notes that:
The album was verbally approved by Rabbi Dovid Feinstein, son of the famous Rabbi Moshe Feinstein who, according to the liner notes said the album was very "original". With a smile on his face, he also said he liked it."
According to the artist's page on CD Freedom (which has soundclips):
"I know my singing isn't the greatest but I did the best I could. You have to give me credit for it."
The story of how he taught himself to play heavy metal is interesting.
"Pesach Chaim is disabled. He has a neurobiological disorder. Please support disabled artists."