Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Clarification

I received the following as part of a longer correspondence about my "HASC Story" post.
I'm surprised though that HASC has not done anything to try and change this reputation.
I'd like to clarify.... my post wasn't about HASC specifically, the HASC concert is simply one of the venues at which the behavior I criticized occurs. It's the same at many of these big events.

There is a culture in the Jewish music scene that is driven by a handful of producers, promoters, bands, and entertainers. It's a relatively small group, but they're the ones who promote these big concerts and the work atmosphere that they create doesn't jive with their public pronouncements. They act all pious in public, like for instance on the Nachum Segal show, onstage at these concerts, etc. but it doesn't match with what they're selling or how they're selling it and it certainly doesn't match with how they comport themselves. I've experienced it firsthand throughout my career, and I know that many others on the scene see things the same way I do.

I don't know if there is much that HASC can do that would stop people from speaking in an inappropriate or vulgar manner, or being unethical in ways that HASC knows nothing about. I suppose they could set boundaries and refuse to promote events with performers who have "misbehaved" in the past, but it would be tough to stick to for many reasons. I think the most effective "policing" as it were must come from those inside the industry who are aware of exactly what goes on, and are in the best position to actually do something about it.