Wednesday, May 14, 2008

From the mailbag...

Nomi Teplow emails to say hi. She has a new CD and website in the works. In the meantime, you can find her here.

Gil Student writes:
I entirely agree that the old man's attempt to interrupt an Uncle Moishy concert and insult the audience is wrong. I just want to point out that it is not clear to me that saying "Hashem isn't here" is heretical. I think that according to the Vilna Gaon saying "Hashem is everywhere" is heretical! See this post: Reflections on Returning from an Uncle Moishy Concert
We noted that post at the time.

Jordan Hirsch writes:
I have been a bandleader and performer in the Jewish Music business for over twenty five years. I have performed at hotels where there is mixed seating, mixed swimming, pre marital sex, and gebrokhts served on Pesach. I have performed at Reform Weddings, Conservative Weddings, Weddings with Lesbian couples singing Im eshkacheich, Weddings performed by Avi Weiss, Bar Mitzvahs with female dancers. Bat Mitzvahs with male dancers. Concerts in Brooklyn college. Concerts in Queens College. I have performed at rallies at Dag Hammerskold plaza, in sight of Bus shelters with pritzusdik advertising. I have performed at Rallies in support of the Zionist entity, where I have shaken Hillary Clinton's hand.

In short, I am everything a right thinking person knows is wrong with Jewish Music. Why the hell didn't I make the ban??!!!
Noam Greenberg writes:
I'm writing to let you know about two exciting projects we've been working on at the Israeli Consulate in New York in honor of Israel's 60 Anniversary which I think will be of interest to your readers.

We've hand picked dozens of Hollywood celebrities to film personalized greetings in salute to Israel. The A-list celebrities include: Tom Cruise, Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, Brooke Shields, Harrison Ford, Jason Alexander, Michael Douglas, Dakota Fanning, Sir Ben Kingsley, among many others. Their quirky and creative birthday greetings are featured on billboards in Times Square during the entire month of May. I'm attaching a link to a video of the celebrity greetings. (The video wasn't produced by the Consulate.) Please let me know if you’d like any further information.

Additionally, to highlight the multicultural and multi-ethnic mosaic that is Israeli society, the Consulate General of Israel in New York, in cooperation with the Salute to Israel Parade, has initiated a banner campaign entitled, “Faces of Israel” in honor of Israel’s 60th birthday. Beginning May 4th, and in advance of the annual Salute to Israel Parade on June 1, banners will line New York’s Fifth Avenue from 46th to 97th Streets. Each banner will feature the face of an Israeli citizen of different origin and will be topped with a display of Israeli and American flags. More information on the banners and the people who are the “Faces of Israel” is available at 60Israelis.com.
Naftali forwards a link to a video of a Melave Malka with R Nissan Kaplan