Monday, October 22, 2007

Book 'em, Dano - Organizing Your Gig Book

I've been meaning to raise this topic for a while.

Years ago, I conceived a system for managing sheet music at gigs. It involved a linked tablet computer system with individual screens for each musician. It would allow the bandleader to call up songs, have the music immediately displayed on each musician's screen in their instruments key, with their parts (if any), and would allow for transposing entire arragements on the fly to accompany guest vocalists. An internet connection and a full libarary/joint partnership with Hal Leonard and other major music publishers would allow bandleaders to fulfill virtually any request.

Due to cost, current technology limitations, and many other reasons (including laziness), I'm not going to develop/use such a system anytime soon.

In the meantime, I've been trying to figure out the best way to organize music books for the band for gigs. I'm interested in hearing how other musicians create their books AND how they manage/update them from season to season. If there is interest, I'll describe my current binder system, but I'm not totally satisfied with it and am interested in hearing other approaches.

For purposes of this discussion, I'd like to mainly focus on Jewish music repertoire, although secular repertoire is also of interest. Beuller?