Wednesday, June 02, 2010

From the mailbag...

Michael S. writes:
I just saw this "Torah is not hefker" brochure in a shul and searched a web to check some of his assumptions. Your post was very helpful.
 
However I can't say I personally disagree with an idea of some sensorship of music and a hashgacha.
 
After all there was a time when food was checked by ingredients. Now we have heksherim. Different heksherim have different levels.
 
So why not the same in music. Even if some music is approved by MO heksher, that's also good. I am sure there is plenty out there that can not meet even triangle K standard.
 
Last time I was at a wedding, the music was terribly noisy. If this was hard for me to bear, what do you think older people assume? And some of it did sound kind of strong, I would prefer something like dveikus.
 
Look, if the music is too mild, the people who like strong music can still listen and "bare" it.
 
But if it is too strong, those who can't bare it get very sick.
 
Please let me know what you think.
 
By the way, I liked your referrence to an article against racism. Thank you again.
I disagree. It is patently obvious that those involved with the idea of a music hashgacha have neither the musical nor halachik acumen to be legislating on these matters. So, on practical grounds alone, this is a very bad idea. I'm strongly opposed on idealogical grounds as well.

The issue of loud volume at simchas is a separate one. I anticipate having more about "volume police" shortly.

Wolf Krakowski forwards a link to a concert video.

Moshe forwards a link to Hava Nagilah, What Is It?

Shalom comments on the too loud one-man-band:
Hey, at least he had an equalizer and knew how it worked.

A couple years ago, I bought a cheap digital SPL meter at Radio Shack, and I started taking it to chassenes in my camera bag. If the music painfully loud even though earplugs, I haul it out and check; if it consistently registers over 96 dB, I'll go over and say something. Not that anyone listens. If they can even hear.

Shortly thereafter, I started, when going to a simcha, to make a stop at a drug store on the way and buy a bulk pack (50 pair) of ear plugs. I don't usually have too many of them left by the end of the evening...
I actually thought about supplying free dispenser of pre-packaged earplugs in the lobby of various simcha venues. The packages would have my band info and the tag line "If we were playing tonight, you wouldn't need these!" As I mention above, I anticipate having more on this topic soon.

Finally, Shmuel forwards a link to Zevy Zions' latest solo CD, "Dizzy Accordion."