Tuesday, May 08, 2007

From the mailbag...

Avi writes:
I have an israeli friend who is a singer and who's non religious sister will be getting married in two months. The wedding will be featuring a DJ and my friend would like to sing Shwekey's Mehaira over a backing track of that song. Is there some place where one can get a "karoake" version or something like that?
If anyone can help him out, please let me know and I'll pass the info along.

Henry Sapoznik writes:
Someone sent me a link to your blog and have been enjoying following it. Today I found an entry from a Ruby Harris who claims my band "Kapelye" opened for him at a concert in Philadelphia. Maybe I'm getting eyver botl, but outside of having heard of his band, I have no recollection of him or the concert he refers to. Actually, I have no recollection of ever opening for anyone!
A. sends links to a bunch of Arnie Singer YouTube videos. Here's one: "No More Bombs."

Daniel Scheide writes:
I just wanted to let you know about a lecture I'm giving in Boca Raton on the 29th of May on the Jewish music of John Zorn. Attached is the press release. You may also be interested in the Judaica Sound Archives, the organization hosting the talk.The FAU Judaica Sound Archives.
Here's the press release:
Judaica Sound Archives at FAU Libraries to host
Lecture on Composer John Zorn at Hillel

WHAT: Daniel Scheide, a librarian at Florida Atlantic University Libraries, will present a lecture titled “John Zorn and the Future of Jewish Music.” Scheide will discuss how Zorn, a composer, arranger and multi-instrumentalist who has been influenced by free jazz, avant-garde, classical and hardcore punk, is challenging the perception of Jewish music.

WHEN: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, from 7 to 8 p.m.
WHERE: Paul C. Wimbish Wing of the S.E. Wimberly Library
Mildred & Abner Levine and Ruth & Saul Weinberger Jewish Life Center, Hillel Golden Pavilion, Florida Atlantic University, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton, FL 33431

COST:Free and open to the public

CONTACT: Judaica Sound Archives at FAU Libraries at 561-297-0080

The Judaica Sound Archives at Florida Atlantic University’s S.E. Wimberly Library on the Boca Raton campus, invites you to join librarian Daniel Scheide, who will present a lecture titled “John Zorn and the Future of Jewish Music,” on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 from 7 to 8 p.m. Scheide is passionate about new and interesting music and has followed Zorn’s career for 20 years. His bachelor’s degree in composition is from Berklee College of Music and his master’s degree is from the University of Illinois.
The Judaica Sound Archives are a great resource with a lot of interesting records all available to listen to online. Highly recommended listening!

A Simple Jew forwards a link to his post "Vitality To The Printed Letters."

E. forwards a link to this JTA article. Apparently, the Eurovision folks have been messing with the Israeli band Teapacks. I don't see what they're complaining about. "Push The Button" evokes pastels to me [/snark]

Psachya forwards a link to The Jewish Ethicist and writes "I thought this was one of the most balanced & fair articles I've seen about this subject. Thought I'd pass it along."

Steven I. writes about some comments posted to his blog, Canonist, regarding a "Hatikvah for Mussaf Controversy":
Have you seen these comments in the most recent M. Tendler Open Thread?
Just go to the "Recent Comments" on the sidebar to find them.