Monday, November 22, 2004

In Which Dov Bear Finally Gets His Link...

DovBear (who has been trying to get our attention for a bit -- see here, here,here, and here) thinks one of our respondents is an idiot.

A reader comments:
While I find it annoying to audition for people who know my playing well, the client does have a right to know what they are getting. Having done this for a long time, I have the luxury of booking based on my reputation for excellence, but I still have to audition sometimes. But someone booking at $800.00 for two musicians is so far below the normal price, which could be anywhere from $1000.00 to about $1300.00 for a weekday, that any client could reasonably question whether they are dealing with someone reputable. When I book a job, I am paying for health care and pensions for my musicians, which means I have the pick of the professional musicians. I am paying for liability insurance for the band. I am paying for music preparation. i think you get the idea. Be offended if you wish, but don't be surprised.
The original writer responds:
My focus was more on the fact that people spend tremendous amount of money on the wedding, but when it comes to the music, in my experience they are always looking to "cut corners", so that the ice sculptures, and steak dinner and sushi bar and Viennese table can still be presented with class.