Tuesday, February 20, 2007

From the mailbag...

Ron B. writes:
I'm pleased to announce that, G-d willing, I will be performing a couple of original big band arrangements with the Lakewood Jazz Ensemble featuring drummer Dave Weckl at the 21st Annual Music Spectacular Jazz Festival on April 26th (23rd Day of the Omer! - there'll be a CD!).
You can find more info on his website.

I'm Haaretz, Ph.D. writes:
Hi, thanks for the link to my article on Shuckle. Just to set the record straight: I am not the one who coined the term. It's from the Forward article I linked to. Daniel Seliger created it. I've just taken it on as my mission to spread it, so to speak :) Sorry to hear you never took to "shiny shoe" -- I hope "shuckle" suits you better.
Today I'm rocking with "Frock Rock"!

Mordy Shinefield writes:
Article I did for Lubavitch.org about the use of Chabad Niggunim in non-religious Jewish music. Chasidic Tunes Inspire Rockers
The lead paragraph asserts that "recently, though, artists have been finding inspiration from a more mystical source - the niggunim of Chabad Lubavitch", and includes guitarist Tim Sparks as one of those artists. I don't believe there are any Chabad niggunim on Tim Sparks' Tzadik releases. A better Tzadik example of Chabad nigun influencing music might have been Ambarchi/Avenaim's '99 release, "The Alter Rebbe's Nigun".

I'm Haaretz, Ph.D. writes:
Hi, thanks for the link to my article on Shuckle. Just to set the record straight: I am not the one who coined the term. It's from the Forward article I linked to. Daniel Seliger created it. I've just taken it on as my mission to spread it, so to speak :) Sorry to hear you never took to "shiny shoe" -- I hope "shuckle" suits you better.
Today I'm rocking with "Frock Rock"!

Last, but not least, the following will be of interest to our European readers.

Dr Laoise Davidson of the Jewish Music Institute SOAS in London writes:
I often pop by your blogsite, being a fellow Jewish music enthusiast, and also working in this area for the Jewish Music Institute.

I was wondering if you would be interested in doing a Blog Feature on our Nu? Musik! workshops which start this coming Monday (26th Feb) in the University of London?

The workshops are for anyone who plays in a band or is forging their way as a solo artist in any of the following genres – Pop, Rock, Jazz, Funk, Latin, World Music, Punk, Reggae, Hip Hop, Dance, R&B, Folk, Klezmer, Ladino… who want to get into Jewish roots music and create their own fusions of Jewish music with their own preferred music styles. They are really about broadening audiences and participants in New Jewish Music, which I think relates to your blog site quite well…

The workshops are open to all age groups, backgrounds and instruments. Participants should have a basic knowledge of music.

Every Monday evening between 26th February and 26th March
from 7 to 9pm at SOAS – Room G60
Thornhaugh Street, London WC1H 0XG

There is more information about the workshop leaders and workshop subjects on our website – www.numusik.org.uk.
Sounds like a neat concept.