Tuesday, March 21, 2006

From the mailbag...

GE Studios writes:
Shimon Kugel has released a new CD which can be previewed at:http://www.bobovbroadcast.com/goldman/ and ShimonKugel.com
RL writes:
You're an accessible expert on Jewish Music, I have a question that's been itching me. I'm trying to get hold of a Carlebach Nigun, that has no words and hence the difficulty. I know that Yisrael Williger has popularized the tune and does a pretty good job at it. It's a very jumpy tune and it just has sounds no na, na, na's. actually, it has a few. I went to mostly music's website and can't find a track on any of his albums that would seem to be associated with the nigun.
Chaim Dovid sings it too, very well, but I can't locate it on his CD's in my collection (I mentally reviewed them I haven't actually listened through them, if it's there, it would be on the newer ones).

The nigun is a great concert one and used for weddings too.

I'll try to describe it....

"Uh, uh, ah-ha, uh, uh, ah-ha, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh na, NA, na, NA, na, NA, na, NA, na, NA, na, nana, nana, na."

ahhh, does that help?! The "uh-hu's" fluctuate in key....and sound...

I wish I could describe keys or scales or chords in more details, I forgot my music training, aside from the fact that I can't decipher that stuff by ear.......

Can you help me? Have I sufficiently described my intangible quest?

It is really important as I need it for an event, not to mention it's driving me nuts....

I hope we can solve this mystery....
I haven't the foggiest!

OOchusidOO writes:
I was just wondering if you could help me. Do you remember Zohar from Tzlil V'zemer fame. He did 3 solo albums that are all out of print. I am looking specifically for the first 2: "The Wonder Boy" and "I Am Back." Do you have any idea where i might be able to obtain the CDs or mp3 of these albums? Also, what ever happened to the guy? He just disappeared from the music scene. Thanks for your help. And keep up your bloging. It's great!!!
Were those first two even released on CD?