Wednesday, February 01, 2006

More J-Music Blogging

Hasidic Rebel(yes, that one) is Lipa blogging
The musaf prayer was coming to an end, the last kaddish after An’im Zemiros in its final verses, when my neighbor turned to me and asked, “Nu, did you get Lipa Schmeltzer’s new CD?”

“No, not yet. Is it any good?” I asked, with less than whole-hearted interest. I reached for my Shtreimel and paused to listen to the Kiddush announcements.

“Lipa’s always good,” said my neighbor. “But I hear some rabbonim issued an issur.”

Now the conversation turns interesting. “An issur? What for?”

“They say he uses goyish music.”

Well, I’ve heard that one before. Never bothered me.

In truth, although I admire Lipa for pushing the envelope in the world of Chasidic music, I can’t exactly call myself a fan. But hey, if the rabbonim made it high priority to warn people against it, the least I can do is find out what it’s about. Besides, my kids love him. I made a mental note to purchase the CD as soon as I get the chance.
Dilbert is Shwekey, Lev Tahor and Even Shesiya blogging.

Harry and Ziva debate whether Billy Joel is David Broza's American equivalent.