Wednesday, September 07, 2005

No Comment

Here's a letter to the editor from this week's Jewish Press.
Eerie Choice

As the anniversary of 9/11 is upon us, I cannot help but think back to the days leading up to that terrible day. I flew from New York to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, on Thursday, September 6, and planned to stay over Shabbos visiting friends before continuing on to Tampa to visit my grandfather. On Friday night, September 7, I davened in a shul in Ft. Lauderdale. The rabbi appointed a Sephardic man in his 20s, who was visiting his family from New York, to be the cantor for the evening service.

The man had a beautifully sweet voice. The service was sung to all the traditional melodies, which were very comforting. However, as the cantor started singing the last Kaddish of the service, I started to get chills. He sang it to the love theme of the movie Titanic — “My Heart Will Go On.” By the end of the Kaddish I had tears in my eyes.

After the service, a few congregants gathered around the bimah and said to one another, “Wasn`t that the tune from Titanic?”

As our sages told us long ago, sometimes a person can prophesy without knowing that he is prophesying. Four days later, the Twin Towers came crashing down.

Chaim Newfield
Southampton, NY