Monday, August 08, 2005

Girls Night Out

The New York edition of the Jewish week had an interesting article by Esther D. Kustanowitz (not available online) about a recent "Girls' Night On" event at Makor for women only. The event allowed women who won't perform in front of mixed audiences the opportunity to play out. (Some of the performers that night also perform in front of mixed crowds.) Here's a taste:
Chana Leah Schwartz, 25, proclaimed her acceptance of this rule ,[ed. Kol Isha], even as it limits her opportunity for artistic expression." I do the things I want to do in a way I feel [halachically] comfortable," she explains. "I ran the marathon in a skirt." On stage, she belted out a spoof of Bonnie Tyler's "Holdin' Out for a Hero," with new lyrics proclaiming, "I Need a Shidduch" ("It's gotta be soon, and he's gotta be taller than me...")

Nummy Kimmel offered her original song called "Bitter," a tale of a sister whose youger brother gets married before her: "If I'm missing during the chupah, check the window ledge," she sang cheerily.
There's another event scheduled for November first and event promoter Leslie Ginsparg says that they're looking to put out a CD and produce larger concerts as well.